Some Forest of Dean History.
A Goodly Heritage.
When less than two hundred trees were left, and even Samuel Pepys was writing of the damage in his famous diary, the Government stepped in. A Commission of 1661 divided the Forest into six walks. Each walk had a Lodge and was named after a famous personage of the day. The King's Walk was dignified by the erection of a Court House, at the centre of the Forest.