The Forest of Dean.

Bygone Days





































Bygone Days



Trafalgar Colliery.

Trafalgar Colliery was owned and worked by the Brain family. They were a very innovative family and introduced and developed the use of electric fuses for detonating the blasting or shotfiring used to loosen and open up the coalfaces underground.

An additional sub-industry centred on the Colliery was the extraction of clay from underground at the colliery for their brickworks at Steam Mills.

The mine was linked, alongwith an existing tramroad network, to a narrow-gauge railway in the early 1860s until Trafalgar Colliery was additionally connected to the Severn & Wye railway in 1890 - freeing up the narrow gauge railway for supplying Nailbridge and Steam Mills with industrial coal.




 
Go Home.
>