The Forest of Dean.

Bygone Days





































Bygone Days



Howbeach Colliery.

In 1831 Moses Teague took on the gale of Howbeach and the mine was named after the gale: "Howbeach Colliery" - however, during its lifetime as a working mine Howbeach Colliery was also known as Howbeach, or Howbitch, Engine as well as Dr. Teague's Pit.

It seems that coal in commercial quantities was not raised for the next 60 or more years and there were several fatalities during this early period. Once the development work had been completed there was a 305 foot deep shaft which cut both the Yorkley and Coleford High Delf Seams. Of the two the Coleford High Delf at 3 feet 6 inches thick was more profitable then the only two feet thick Yorkley Seam.

Before its formal closure in 1895 it had reached a peak production two years earlier of some 40,000 tons in the year. The closure was prompted by a general slump in coal prices coupled with difficulties, so common in the Forest, in keeping the workings clear of water. Attempts to work coal later in the early 1900s were spasmodic and there was at least one fatal accident in this later period.

Today, all that can be seen, are overgrown tips and a few concrete foundations alongwith a filled-in shaft.




 
Go Home.
>