The Dilke Memorial Hospital.
The Dilke Memorial Hospital
Tel: 01594 598100
Following the death of the Forest's Member of Parliament Mr Charles Dilke, fund
raising commence to establish a local community hospital.
The Dilke Hospital was built as a permanent memorial to the popular M.P. and was
built on a site near to the old Lightmoor Colliery. Prior to its completion, injured
miners or other members of the public were taken to Gloucester Infirmary for
hospital treatment, often with fatal results en route.
The Dilke Memorial Hospital opened its doors for the first time in 1923 and for
many years the hospital was run from funds raised by public subscription paid by
Today the hospital grew until it had 36 inpatient beds ... then there were cutbacks and restructuring within the National Health Service and the Dilke was only saved from closure by making it a "Minor Injuries Unit" and closing all the beds.