The Forest of Dean.

Bygone Days





































Bygone Days


Cinderford

A Short History Of the
Cinderford Wesley Methodist Church


The New Chapel

Window panel showing 
Aaron Goold's mining 
interests.Aaron Gould, a Wesleyan Methodist and a leading colliery proprietor, owned land between Hinders Lane [now Dockham Road] and Turnpike Road [now Belle Vue Road] on which he had built himself a mansion named "St. Annals". In response to the proposed new chapel he laid off land beside Belle Vue Road as a site. Mr. Goold is believed to have provided most of the money needed for the erection of the building.

A very pretty chapel was built, standing back from the main road and having trees and shrubs on the intervening ground, and lining the path from gate to door. Consequently the chapel became known as the "Chapel in the Grove", even though its name was "Wesley".

Detail of stained glass 
window showing the 
Wesley Methodist Church.The chapel has been described as "the most beautiful building in Cinderford". There are sixty carved stone heads depicting the Wesleys, kings, queens, monks, crusaders etc. The new building was opened in 1849 by Dr. Joseph Beaumont and Dr. James Dixon. Miss Mildred Goold laid the foundation stone. A Congregationalist named Dr. Cox caused a stir by arriving in breeches and silk stockings! The foundation stone is no longer visible, perhaps hidden by the porch erected at a later date.




 
Go Home.
>