A bit about Cinderford.
Aaron Goold chairman of the Forest Coal Masters built Belle Vue House in 1840, since renamed St Annals House, and is now known as the Belle Vue Centre and serves as the Cinderford Town Council offices and a community business base.
A market house was set up by the East Dean Town Hall & Market Co. in 1869 with the market situated beneath the Town Hall buildings and opening on to the High Street.
After the closure of the ironworks coal mining became the main industry of the Forest of Dean with collieries such as Bilson, Crump Meadow, Foxes Bridge, Lightmoor, Winner, Eastern and Northern United all close to Cinderford. The Northern United Pit was the last deep mine in the Forest and closed on Christmas Eve 1965. A commemorative plaque stands above the pit shaft today.
A network of railway lines operated by Severn & Wye Railway and Great Western Railway served the town but the decline of mining activities in the Forest of Dean saw the gradual closure of the railway's. passenger services. Routes to Lydney via Speech House ceased in 1929 and to Gloucester via Newnham in 1958, before Cinderford station finally closed to freight traffic in 1968.