A bit about Cinderford.
In 1829 the furnace was re-started by Moses Teague, who with William Montage formed the Cinderford Iron Company, later taken over by William Allaway and William Crawshay and reached peak output by 1858 when four blast furnaces were working. Unable to compete with the higher production of South Wales and the Midlands the ironworks finally closed in 1890.
The ironworks and coal mining marked a period of great change and advancement for the town with worker's cottages, shops, inns, a school and a parish church - St Johns, built in 1844 on ground near Cinderford Tump provided by colliery owner Edward Protheroe. This is now over a mile from the present town centre and gives some indication of the distance the town has developed from its original settlement at Cinderford Bridge.
Heavy industry has had a significant influence on the development of the area. The legacy of this is particularly strong in Cinderford and Ruspidge where, in a way similar to many industrial towns, the industrial uses occupy the flat valley floor while the housing areas are set on the valley sides which proved less attractive to develop for large scale industrial processes.