Broadmoor Colliery, which was also known locally as the "Duck" Colliery, was part of the Bilson Colliery at the beginning of the 1800s. At that time it accessed the Churchway High Delf Seam until it became worked out in 1841 when the Lowery Seam became the main productive coal level of the mine. In that year, 1841, Broadmoor produced 10,500 tons of coal. To overcome the constant threat of flooding there was a 22-inch condensing engine.
The pit had several owners, from Edward Protheroe to the Goold fmily to the Bilson and Crump Meadow Collieries Co. Ltd and possibly the Lydney and Crump Meadow Collieries Co. Ltd. and was originally connected to the Whimsey Branch of the Forest of Dean Tramroad and then at a later date to the Forest of Dean Branch of the Great Western Railway.
Various incidents marked its history:
1848 - Fatal accident;
1911 - Engine house was damaged by fire;
1914 - Fatal accident;
1915 - Engine house was rebuilt;
1922 - Brickworks created to make bricks from clay from the spoil tip.
On the site of the old Broadmoor Colliery there is, even now, a brickworks which is still making bricks.